About these ads

TSTOgame

A blog dedicated to the popular mobile game, The Simpsons: Tapped Out

Category Archives: Community

Future Idea for an Update: Mr. Sparkle

The episode “In Marge We Trust” introduced one of the most iconic mascots in the history of the show, Mr. Sparkle. This Japanese dishwashing detergent can even be seen in the opening sequence when Marge is checking out of the grocery store.

A majority of the episode focuses on one of the more ancillary characters of the show, Rev. Lovejoy. The whole Mr. Sparkle adventure is really just the B story of the episode, and it turned out to be the most iconic.

So would you like to see Mr. Sparkle added into the game in some form? It would be a good excuse to add some more Japanese-styled buildings and decorations to the game. Wouldn’t it be nice to have some cherry blossom trees alongside all of the greenery? We already have Three-Eyed Sushi on the boardwalk and the Swanky Fish restaurant, so maybe some more Asian influences would give players a chance to build another district to their Springfield.

About these ads

Editorial: From Metropolis to Village

Springfield has transformed from a humble town into a bustling city, but is that for the better? New buildings and characters are constantly being added to the game. It can be a nightmare trying to find the person you are looking for on the ever expanding map.

When is too much content a bad thing? So many long-time players are just sitting at the level cap trying to squeeze all of this content into one space.

Right now there are no easy ways to redesign your town. If you want to wipe the slate clean, you’re going to have to place everything into storage bit-by-bit. You could try to shuffle things around if you have some free space, but it’s not always that easy. Either way you choose to approach this task, it’s going to be a huge, carpal tunnel inducing project that will take several hours to complete.

Finding characters has also turned into a chore. It used to be fairly easy, but if you’ve purchased all the available land it may take several sweeps to find who you are looking for. Don’t you think it’s about time a character locator was added to the game?
Read more of this post

Second Chances for Limited-Time Content

The first major update to the game arrived at this time last year with the Treehouse of Horror XXIII content. It was a simpler time, before the game was even ported to Android. Back when the idea of a Kindle Fire version was just a leaf on the wind.

Now we’ve lapped the calendar and we’re into our second Tapped Out Halloween. Some old, once “limited-time” content has found its way back into the shop. This time though it’s going to cost some sweet, sweet premium currency if you want to get what you missed out on the first time around.

The next holiday the game took an interest in celebrating last year was Thanksgiving. Players celebrated by purchasing some float balloons for their town. Would you like them to make a reappearance this year, or would you prefer it if they were not reintroduced?

Building an accurate Springfield

In the context of the show, buildings often move around constantly to accommodate the needs of any given episode.

Even the best attempt at plotting out a real-world version of Springfield is questionable. You might be able to connect a few buildings, but it’s not as easy as looking up a satellite map of the area.

There are however a few constants that rarely change. Of course the most obvious being that the Simpson House has always neighbored the Flanders House. One other often overlooked constant is that King Toot’s Music Store is always seen next to Moe’s Tavern. It’s one of the few locations that get an establishing shot, and you can always see the music store right next door.

So if you’re trying to build an accurate Springfield in Tapped Out, this may be something you want to consider when designing your town. The Jebediah Springfield statue is also always depicted a few hundred feet in front of Town Hall.

What are you saving your donuts for?

This event has been surprisingly generous, not only with content, but with chances to win donuts. After collecting all ten personal prizes, for every additional 2,000 GOO you collect you get a chance to win between 1 – 3 donuts. If that wasn’t enough, for every 1,000 ghosts popped you are guaranteed to have a donut drop.

For diligent players, this opportunity has made it easy to collect at least a few dozen donuts. So what are you saving up for? Are you trying to snag some of the limited-time content before it disappears from the shop, or are you saving up for some future unreleased content? Maybe there has been something in the shop you’ve had your eye on for a while, and now you’re even closer to adding it to your town without breaking the bank.

In my buyer’s guide for this update, I ranked the Ghost Zapper pretty low on the list. It isn’t very useful, but it does look really cool. Right now that is the prize I’m saving up for, as it would make a great addition to Frink’s Lab. It reminds me of the laboratory from the 1931 Frankenstein movie.

Would you like to see more writers for TSTOgame?

One of the unique things about TSTOgame, is that I am the only contributor. Since the creation of the site I believe that I have proved that one dedicated person can do more than a whole team of people. Is that the best course of action moving forward though?

There is something to be said for variety, and if more people are willing to contribute, should they be given the chance to?

So would you like to see more writers here, and would you like to be one of them? Right now I’m just testing the idea to see if the readers would welcome the change or if they would be oppose to it.

If I did go through with the change, there would still be an assurance on quality. Contributors wouldn’t be given free-reign, as I would take on the role of editor to make sure things are spelled correctly, use proper grammar, and for the most part are presentable before pushing any post through to the public.

Snapshots from the community, with commentary

One of things I enjoy seeing are snapshots from other players, showcasing not their town design, but interesting moment that take place in their town. Most of the time it involved different characters, seemingly interacting while on a task. You don’t always plan these moments, so when the opportunity to take a snapshot arises, it’s too good not to share these with the community. Here are a few things that caught my eye recently, mostly from users on Reddit and our Flickr group.

Photo by Tkclown

Read more of this post

Suspicious crash after finding donuts in a Mystery Box

Today was rough. It was just one of those days where nothing seemed to go your way, but hey, at least you can escape into a video game for a few moments. So you launch the game and the Daily Play Combo prompt appears. It’s time to open a Mystery Box. You know the drill, it’s probably just going to be a newspaper dispenser, some large hedges, or even more wooden fences. This time it’s different, when you open the box you find ten donuts inside!

Maybe things aren’t so bad after all. Then a few seconds later “BAM!”, the game crashes. You hope those donuts are still there, but when you relaunch the game, nothing saved. You get another chance to open a Mystery Box, but there aren’t any donuts to find this time.

Please don't crash.

Please don’t crash.

Has this happened to you? It has happened to me on more than one occasion, and several other users have reported the same issue. This “bug” has been around for a while now, but it never gets fixed. Do you think something fishy is going on? The most you can do in this situation is contact the EA Help Center and hope they are sympathetic to your plight.

All of your donut-related questions: answered

Do you have a questions about donuts? Are you having trouble deciding which donut package is best for your budget?Do you want to know the pros and cons of buying certain premium content?Do you refuse to buy donuts, but want to know all the ways you can earn them in-game for free?

Well all of these questions and more are answered on the brand-new, reorganized, and restructured Spending Donuts page. Everything has been broken up into categories to make it even easier to find the answers you are searching for.
Read more of this post

I cleared out my friends list, but I want you on it

If you comment on this blog on a semi-regular basis, I want you on my friend list. The last time I cleared out my friends list I accepted the first 100 requests, and this had mixed results. Now my friends list is back down to zero, but I hope to change that over the next few days. So if you want to be one of my friends, post your user name here.

If you were on my list before, you aren’t now. So please post your user name if you want to be added back on. I hope to fill my list with the people who interact with this blog the most, this way when I visit your town, I’ll know who you are from your posts here.

Those who comment the most have priority, as I’ve gotten to recognize your user names.

Update:
Everyone who has commented has been sent a friend request. I am running low on room now, so it’s down to the final few slots. Thanks so much for being a part of TSTOgame. If you just need more friends, that do not necessarily have to be me, add your name to this list instead.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 849 other followers